Thursday, February 4, 2010

Prayer.

I am currently reading The Reason for God by Timothy Keller. A couple of days ago I skipped ahead to the end to see what might be waiting for me. I read the following words and just can't seem to get them out of my mind.
During a dark time in her life, a woman in my congregation complained that she had prayed over and over, "God, help me find you," but had gotten nowhere. A Christian friend suggested to her that she might want to change her prayer to, "God, come and find me. After all, you are the Good Shepard who goes looking for the lost sheep." She concluded when she was recounting this to me, "The only reason I can tell you this story is- he did."
Such simple words, yet isn't it too easy to go looking for God when in reality we should be asking that He come look for us? Or, how often do we pray that a loved one "finds God" instead of pleading with God to relentlessly chase after the one that He loves so dearly?

1 comment:

Emily W. said...

Thanks for this post! That's such a great way of looking at it.