Wednesday, February 24, 2010

A messy kitchen.

I woke up this morning feeling so hungry that I had to finally force myself from underneath my cozy covers to head to the kitchen for some oatmeal. (I will admit that I did stay in bed longer than necessary, thinking that perhaps the hunger would go away if I could just fall back asleep. No such luck. I think baby Turek is demanding more and more of mom's nutrients these days.)

As I quietly slipped out a bed and into the kitchen to set my journal and Bible down before heading to the bathroom (top priority when pregnant!) I immediately noticed a MESS. The dishwasher, full of clean dishes was hanging open, and dirty dishes filled the sink. After making my breakfast and sitting down to eat I immediately felt convicted. I have all day to keep the house clean, and this is what I wake up to? What should have been a peaceful morning suddenly seemed out of order and far from relaxing.

As I wrote in my journal I felt further convicted in that my own sin, laziness, was what created this messy kitchen. I should have cleaned up before heading to bed, but chose not to. I found other things to be a priority instead of taking care of my own home. Heading directly to Proverbs 31, these are some verses that stood out to me. (NASB version)

vs. 18: "She senses that her gain is good." - How easy is it to feel like certain things in our lives are meaningless? This woman sees what she does as GOOD.

vs. 25: "Strength and dignity are her clothing, And she smiles at the future." - This woman is obviously well prepared for whatever the future brings. When I think of the future it is easy for me to get overwhelmed about all the un-knowns instead of SMILING. I need to plan and prepare for what I can, and leave the rest in God's hands.

vs. 27: "She looks well to the ways of her household, And does not eat the bread of idleness." - Do I eat the bread of idleness? Yes, and far too often.

I am praying that God would continue to convict me and reveal my weaknesses so that He can turn them into strengths. I know that God's love for me doesn't depend on any of these things, but I am so grateful for what He has done for me that I WANT to be obedient. I want to be a good steward of every single aspect of my life. And, a sin is a sin... even laziness.

No comments: