Thursday, July 8, 2010

Celebrating Five Years.

On July 2, John and I celebrated our five year wedding anniversary. It seems like just yesterday that I was getting ready to walk down the aisle to say, "I do." I can still remember how excited I was to marry not only my best friend, but a man that I looked up to and respected. In the past five years my love for him has only grown stronger and my appreciation for him more sincere. He knows when and how to make me laugh and when to let me cry. I look at John and wonder why God decided to bless me with such an amazing man.

I know that marriage isn't a fairytale, that there are hard times mixed in with the good. But somehow my brain tends to skip over the hard times and just remember the good. We have several "rules" in marriage that help. We always pray together before we fall asleep, only go to bed with an unresolved conflict if we have agreed to do so, and generally try to go to bed at the same time regardless of morning schedules so that we can accomplish the above.

I know this isn't some formula for success, but sometimes it's the little things make such a difference. Of course being married to a man whom, in my book is the most patient man in the world helps a little too.

We planned on getting away to Hawaii this summer, but Baby Turek came along and thus we ended up celebrating in Omaha, NE instead. I wouldn't have traded it for a fancy trip to Hawaii. The sweet memories of soaking in our last moments together before bringing a child into this world are far more precious than any time on the beach could have been. When I look at John and imagine him as a father, my heart melts all the more.

Photobucket

We started off the day with massages, but not before John made a quick trip to Panera to grab my wedding day breakfast. A caramel i.c. and cinnamon crunch bagel.

Photobucket

Later that day we checked into the hotel where we spent our wedding night and subsequently four out of our past five wedding anniversaries. The staff was kind enough to send up their congrats. Those chocolate covered strawberries tasted better than any champagne could have.

Photobucket

Later we headed out for dinner at the Passport, a local place in the Old Market.

Photobucket

And then we walked around the park that John proposed at. When we asked a lady to take the following photo, she asked if we were taking our engagement photos. That made for a good laugh.

Photobucket

We don't usually do gifts on our anniversary but spend the money on creating memories instead. But this year John surprised me with a pair of pearl earrings. My favorite part though? The card. One of my love languages is definitely words of affirmation. His cards usually make me cry, and this year was no exception. Imagine that.

Photobucket

And my son wrote a little letter too. With lines such as:

"Happy Anniversary to you and Dad."

"I can't wait to meet you and dad." and

"I am getting cramped in here. See you soon! I love you Mommy!"

Oh how much life has changed and how much more it will change in the coming days or weeks. I love this adventure called life and am so blessed to share it with such an incredible husband.

1 comment:

Emily W. said...

Congratulations! I can't believe it's already been five years! It's so much fun to see how you celebrated. You look beautiful, and I can't wait for the little guy to arrive. It won't be long!