Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Taking things for granted.

Sometimes, in life, you don't realize what you had until it is taken away from you. Since John and I got married right out of college, and moved six weeks later to the Netherlands, we never really had a chance to experience married life in the States. Granted, we have always had our summer in the States, but that time goes by so quickly I'm not sure you can even count it as "life"!

That being said, I didn't realize how much I appreciated living overseas until it was taken away. The past few months were pretty difficult. I always had a peace that God would work everything out according to His will... I just didn't know when or how. And the waiting part was difficult for me. But, the longer we waited the more I missed our European life.

It made me reflect on how unappreciative I had been in the past. I found it easy to complain that I wasn't able to work, or to long for a "normal" life in the States. Instead of being thankful for all that God had blessed me with, there were far too many days that I complained.

Now that it was taken away from me, and then given back, I look at the city around me, and am thankful for each and every little thing. I like my little kitchen that has a washing machine in it. I don't mind hanging my clothes to dry until we get a dryer. I was thankful to finally get the internet, but I was doing just fine without it too.

Yesterday, as I sat sipping my first latte machiatto back in Europe, I found myself incredibly grateful for the opportunity to live in another culture. Something I had taken for granted for far too long. Was the season God just brought us out of difficult at times? Yes. But, I am thankful He allowed us to go through it.

So, for those of you who know me well.... please hold me accountable. If you hear me complaining in the future, please lovingly remind me to be thankful.

No comments: