Friday, January 13, 2012

We MADE it!

After a long day of travels, Kaleb and I made it back to "daddy" here in Poland. There is one thing I can't stop thinking about after an exhausting trip: the kindness of strangers. I wonder if the United worker that bumped me up to Economy Plus so I'd have a seat for Kaleb knows just how much I appreciate it. (I can't even imagine if I would have survived that trip with Kaleb on my lap along with baby in my belly!) I wonder if the flight attendant who called me "honey" the entire duration of the flight will ever know how much I appreciate the milk he brought for Kaleb just when we needed it or the meal he kept warm for me until I could actually eat it. I wonder if the Lufthansa gate attendant will ever know how much her warm smile meant to me as I ran to the gate just as she was calling my name for final boarding, or the time she took to print off a boarding pass for Kaleb since he wasn't issued one even though I was delaying the flight.

So often we can be used by God to help others without even realizing just how much our smiles and small courtesies mean to them. After all, you can't tell from the outside what others may be dealing with in the inside. I may never be able to express my gratitude to each person that helped out along the way, but I can pray that they too will experience little glimpses of God's grace in their daily lives.

All that to say... I am just thankful to be back, reunited with my husband. I am thankful to see Kaleb loving on his daddy and vice versa. Last night we brought Kaleb into bed with us at some point and he just kept kissing John. It was so sweet, even if we were all exhausted. Unfortunately, John had to leave today as he ended up making the All-Star team and he plays in a game across the country tomorrow. We had planned my arrival home so he would actually be home for a bit before traveling again, but I should know by now that life never goes as planned! Although selfishly I would rather have him home, I am also thankful for the opportunity he has been given.

We will see what tonight brings, but at least Kaleb doesn't seem to be scared of his surroundings as he was when we first arrived this fall. He is sleeping in his crib, not his tent, and he went to bed tonight with just a few little whimpers after lots of cuddles from mama. Thanks again for all your prayers. We could not have made it back without God's strength and the people He used along the way to help us get here.

No comments: