Monday, August 23, 2010

Our one month old.

It is a bleak and dreary day here in the Netherlands.... nothing unusual for this part of the world. Both of my "boys" are napping and I decided to forgo the extra sleep in order to have some "me" time which seems to be a rarity these days. I made myself a cup of coffee, lit some candles and did some reading with the sound of rain serving as my soundtrack.

The days here feel more like fall than summer. Stepping off the airplane at Schiphol I quickly realized I had packed all the wrong attire for this time of the year. Since not many of my pre-pregnancy clothes fit I had gone shopping for a few things, but now I'm pretty sure I will need to go shopping again for fall wardrobe. The skirts I bought with elastic waists won't keep me warm much longer!

Kaleb turned one month old on Friday. I found myself reliving the day of his birth, trying to remember every last detail and looking at him now, amazed at how much he has already grown.

Happy One Month Kaleb Josiah!

Photobucket

Perfect weather for a BBQ.

Photobucket

Photobucket

My little man, already sporting a receding hairline. ;)

Photobucket

Photobucket

When Kaleb was just two and half weeks old he rolled over from his tummy to his back during tummy time and completely surprised his mommy. I put him back on his tummy and he did the same thing, but hasn't done it since. On Saturday (the day after he turned one month) we were doing some more tummy time...

Photobucket

Photobucket

I went into the kitchen to get my breakfast to bring out to the living room, and when I came back I found this:

Photobucket

Apparently our little guy only performs when I don't have the video camera handy or when no one is looking.

Photobucket

He is also starting to pay closer attention to us and to toys we give him. Yesterday during "activity" time, he found that he could chew on Sophie's ear.

Photobucket

How can you resist these sweet eyes?

Photobucket

I will admit that when we first arrived her in Groningen I was a bit overwhelmed with our living conditions. Going from our home in the States to our home here in the "ghetto" of Groningen will do that I suppose. Add in a newborn, a tired mom and hormones and you probably have a recipe for disaster. I nearly cried but somehow pulled myself together and went into "fix it" mode. We are supposed to be getting a paint job soon which will help, right now the walls are dingy white.

I have been reminded yet once again that it isn't the condition of a home that counts, but the memories inside the four walls that matter. (And really, pretty much any place can be cute with a little TLC or several trips to Ikea!) I went to bed a few nights ago just thankful for a roof over my head, after all not everyone has such luxuries. Sure, I might find a cat in my apartment from time to time (yes, that happened the other morning!) but when it comes down to it I have my little family here and that is worth more than anything in the world.

No comments: